Sports Coaching Certificate Program
The University of Miami Sports Coaching Certificate Program satisfies standards created by the Florida Department of Education for a 5-Year Athletic Coaching Certificate. This program also follows the standards created by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE). This national organization provides benchmarks and guidelines for what coaches should know, and be able to do. These benchmarks are clearly defined in eight comprehensive domains, which include: Philosophy and Ethics; Safety and Injury Prevention; Physical Conditioning; Growth and Development; Teaching and Communication; Sports Skills and Tactics; Organization and Administration; and Evaluation. Combining these eight domains of knowledge from NASPE, and the requirements of the Florida Department of Education Coaching Certificate, this program is designed to provide individuals with the information and expertise needed for career advancement and professional growth in the field of coaching.
Students enrolled in the University of Miami’s Sports Coaching Certificate Program complete coursework designed to improve knowledge of coaching fundamentals and theories. Additionally, students will complete coursework in care and prevention of athletic injures, and the dangers of substance abuse including, the nature and prevalence of Performance-Enhancing drugs. This course work is combined into three courses for a total of 48 contact hours. The final requirement to qualify for the 5-Year Athletic Coaching Certificate involves the completion of a zero credit CPR course issued byeither, the American Heart Association, American Red Cross or Florida Department of Health.
There are two overarching goals for the Sports Coaching Certificate Program:
- To develop effective coaches who are knowledgeable in the latest sport-specific research and information.
- To create well-informed coaches who can work effectively with athletes.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, athletic coaching occupations are projected to increase by some 29% between 2010 and 2020, twice as fast as the average for all occupations (14%). Students completing the University of Miami’s Sports Coaching Certificate Program are prepared for careers in the following areas:
- Youth Leagues
- Recreation Leagues
- Amateur clubs
- Collegiate (NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA)
University of Miami’s Coach Certificate Program involves the following three (3) courses:
(1) Coaching Theory and Methodology;
(2) Athletic Injuries and Performance Enhancing Drugs (including CPR certification);
And ONE (1) of the following
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Football
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Basketball
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Baseball
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Soccer
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Softball
- Sports Coaching: Fundamentals of Lacrosse