Certificate in Interior Design
If you have always had an eye for design, and have a knack for taking an ordinary space and making it feel extraordinary, then the University of Miami Certificate in Interior Design is for you.
The Certificate in Interior Design Program offers non-credit courses to those who want to enrich their cultural experiences or who are interested in improving their professional or occupational skills. Taught by industry professionals, our Certificate in Interior Design program focuses on the important fundamentals to enter the design field. A hands-on program, students will learn history of interiors, principles and elements of design, freehand and computer drafting, specification and materials, professional practice , photography and building a portfolio.
HISTORY OF INTERIORS (8 hrs)
The course examines the evolution of design in the decorative arts from the ancient periods to present day.
SPECIFICATIONS (12 Hrs)
- Materials and Resources – Research and site visits
- Green Design/Sustainability
- Selection of Finishes, Lighting, Furniture
- Human Factors
DESIGN STUDIO (20 hrs)
- Drawing I: Freehand & Mechanical Drawing
- Space planning and programming
- Orthographic drawings (plans, sections, elevations)
- Drawing II: Computer drawing
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE (8 hrs)
- Consultant Coordination
PRESENTATION TECHNIQUES (20 hrs)
- Portfolio workshop/Adobe InDesign
- Photography of Interior/Instructor: Steven Brooke, Photographer