The purpose and benefits of the Blackboard
explained on the main UM website at www.miami.edu. Click on “Blackboard” when
you reach the home page.
When you register for a course it is important
that you give us your birth date. We use your birth date to create a unique
identity for you in the
Blackboard system. If we have not coded your birth date into the system you
will not have access to Blackboard.
How to Log On to Blackboard
Once you are a fully registered student, you may use the following steps to
log on and utilize Blackboard:
Gather your log-in information:
1. Go to www.miami.edu.
2. Click on “MyUM” under the Quick Links menu in the lower-left
3. Click on “First Time Using MyUM?” and follow the directions
on how to get a PIN or
log in with your UM ID number and PIN if you have one.
4. On the MyUM Home tab, in the E-mail Information section, note your UM E-mail
Alias. This will be your username.
5. If you already have an e-mail account, please enter it in the “Update
mail address” box and click on the “Update E-mail” button.
6. Your initial Blackboard password is your birth date in the form month/day/year
with no leading zeros in the month or day, all four digits in the year, and
between each entry. For example, May 1, 1982 would be 5/1/1982.
7. As soon as you log in you will be changing your password.
8. You are now ready to log in to Blackboard and change your password.
Log on to Blackboard:
1. Go to www.miami.edu.
2. Click on “Blackboard” under the Quick Links menu in the lower-left
3. Enter your UM E-mail Alias (from step 4 in the above section) as your username.
4. Enter your birth date (from step 6 in the above section) as your password.
5. Click on the Login button.
6. You should now be at the home page. If you have a problem logging in, try
or get help.
Change your password:
1. Click on “Personal Information” which is directly above the
links to training videos.
2. Click on “Change Password”.
3. Enter your new password in both boxes and then click on the “Submit” button.
4. On the confirmation page, click on the “OK” button.
5. Click on the Home tab to return to the Blackboard home page.
Log off from Blackboard:
1. When you are finished using Blackboard, click on the “Logout” button
at the top of
For further questions about Blackboard contact the Blackboard help desk at
305-284-3949 or email@example.com.